Friday, August 22, 2008

Happy Lunches

I have finally found a winner in my quest to find a cabbage dish that I really love...and what luck, it's the first cabbage dish that my husband has requested I repeat again soon! Yahoo!!
The recipe is a Seared
Cabbage Salad from
Rachael Ray's 30-Minute
Meals. I served it over
soba noodles with some
shiitake mushrooms and
cold tofu.


Simple, fun meals were
key at the beginning of
the week; Dada left for
his first trip since Maia's
birth. Three days alone
with four kids was
certainly exhausting!

Ian's Alphatots, Yves
Good Dogs
in whole wheat buns with organic ketchup, grapes, cucumber, carrots.













The older boys have been taking turns holding their baby sister.

Monday:

AJ's camp lunch: whole grain crackers w/cream "cheese" & white crackers w/peanut butter; green beans; edamame; onigiri; watermelon; mini zucchini muffin.

Tuesday:

Farm pickup: eggplant, green peppers, pattypan squash, cucumbers, green kale & red russian kale, celery, watermelon, cantaloupe, muskmelon, red onions & white onions, jalapeno, red potatoes, blueberries, orange cherry tomatoes & red Juliet plum tomatoes, purple cabbage, 3 pounds of various heirloom tomatoes. Not shown: herbs & flowers.

More bento treats arrived in the mail:

A Buzz Lightyear Toy
Story bento box, a green
mushroom fork case
with fork, various paper
cupcake holders,
kyaraben nori punches,
a rice ball mold.


I also came across a great instructional Happy Lunch Box website intended for parents of kindergarten kids in Japan. It shows how to make simple animals, people, flowers, etc. out of food. Check it out!

Wednesday:

AJ's lunch for camp: Nate's Meatless Meatballs; cantaloupe chunks; tiny gherkin pickle; blanched spinach; grilled nutritional yeast cheese sandwich.

Thursday:

Husband's lunch: Thermos of homemade vegetable lentil barley soup; soba noodles; steamed broccoli & tomatoes; Insanely Easy Chickpea Salad & cucumbers; baguette slice (to accompany soup); carrot sticks; sesame tofu; marinated mushrooms.

AJ's playdate lunch in his new Buzz Lightyear bento: 1/3 of an EnviroKidz Berry Crispy Rice Bar; sesame tofu & green beans; soba noodles; cucumber slices; carrot sticks; mini zucchini muffin; steamed broccoli.

6 comments:

Jumbleberry Jam said...

Where do you find those cute little sticks? DS will eat anything I put on a toothpick!

veganf said...

Ichiban Kan's online store has quite a few, and cheap! Or eBay.

Jumbleberry Jam said...

Thanks! I'll check it out :-)

Anonymous said...

Hello! I LOVE your blog and all of your recipe ideas! This is exactly what I am looking for for my family! Can you suggest any of your recipes that would be good for my picky 3 year old? She doesn't care for veggies at all and doesn't like anything with 'odd' textures, I am really running out of ideas as to what to feed her! Thanks so much!!

veganf said...

jenren - Have you tried homemade mini muffins? Will she eat pasta with any kind of sauce? How about soups, pureed or creamy types? Yogurts or smoothies? Tofu or egg omelettes with pureed greens cooked in? Spinach pancakes or other unique flavours?
Keep trying new things, don't give up. And keep modeling good eating. She's sure to surprise you one of these times!

Jhon Rock said...

Excellent read, I just passed this into a colleague who was doing a little research on that. And he actually bought me lunch because I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that.
breastfeeding cookies