Wednesday, September 29, 2010

you have 20 minutes

I felt like I was on Chopped this morning. First I had to make the boys' lunches as usual with a circus going on around me. I don't normally prepare them ahead of time because I want them as fresh as possible.

Ryan & AJ's lunches: vegetable cracker sandwiches w/We Can't Say It's Cheese cheddar spread; Annie's chocolate chip bunny cookies; a carrot; a pickle; cucumber slices; plum wedges; apple wedges; green beans; peanuts.

With Ryan & AJ out the door, it was off to drop Nate at preschool. Then I arrived home again. I glanced at the calendar on the way to the computer to unload my camera. AGH!! Today was wednesday. It was the fall staff appreciation lunch at the elementary school. First grade families were supposed to bring a fruit or dessert, and second grade families were assigned salads. Well, it was 9:35am. The food was supposed to be dropped off by 10am. I had 25 minutes in which to create 2 dishes from scratch and deliver them down the street.

I had our farm share still heaped in front of the dishwasher after yesterday's rainy evening pickup. And I spied 2 cans of chick peas still sitting on the corner of the counter waiting to be put away after grocery shopping. So first, a chick pea salad...

Quick Chick Pea Salad

2 cans chick peas, drained
1 tomato, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
1 slice purple onion, finely diced (about 2-3 tablespoons)
12 green stuffed olives, sliced (black olives are fine too)
1/4 cup olive oil
2-3 T. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 clove garlic, finely minced, or 1/8-1/4 tsp. garlic powder
a few grind of fresh black pepper
1 T. fresh thyme

Put chick peas in a large bowl. Cut up tomato, bell pepper, onion & olives. Add them to the bowl. In a small bowl or container with a cover, add all remaining ingredients to create the dressing. Whisk or shake until combined. Pour over chick peas & veggies. Toss & serve. Garnish with a little extra thyme leaves.

Asian Carrot Salad

2 cups grated or matchstick carrots (the grater attachment of a food processor is fastest)
1 cup bok choy or other cabbage stems, sliced finely (I used a mandoline for speed)
1 leek, washed & sliced in thin diagonals
1-2 T. toasted sesame seeds
1/4 cup shoyu (naturally brewed soy sauce)
2 T. rice vinegar
1 tsp. grated ginger
1 T. mirin (or other sweetener)
2 T. chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

Grate carrot. Slice bok choy. Trim, wash & slice leek. Toss in the sesame seeds. Add the cilantro if you are using it.
In a small bowl combine shoyu, vinegar, ginger & mirin. Pour over salad & toss. Preferably you'll want to let in marinate for a little bit before serving.

----

I finished the food at exactly 10am. But I still had to pack it up, take a couple of the quickest pics in the east, and get them to the school. I put Maia on my back and speed walked down to the school. We were back by 10:13am. Whew!
So yeah, technically they got two salads, no fruit or dessert. But I don't think anybody's going to notice. And Americans could use some extra servings of veggies anyways. :-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Extra veggie servings are always good! The salads look delicious! As do the lunches :) You are super speedy!