Thursday, July 23, 2009

Pesto x3

When the basil comes in, I'm all about making pesto to freeze for those dreary days in early December. I make mine thick, and thin it with olive oil or pasta cooking water when I'm
ready to use it.

Using ingredients like purslane (treated as a weed in the U.S. and a delicacy in Europe), walnuts, and walnut oil, really give meals a boost of omega-3 fatty acids.

Use your pesto on pasta, sandwiches, bruschetta, or as a dip. Or toss it with shaved ribbons of zucchini & summer squash with some chopped tomato. Beautiful! Truthfully, I'd be happy to sit down with a bowl of pesto and a spoon, haha.

Purslane Pesto

1 cup purslane
3-4 cups basil
1/2 tsp. salt
4-6 cloves garlic
1/4 cup walnuts
1/4-1/3 cup olive oil

Wash purslane and basil. Put first 5 ingredients in a food processor. Add olive oil while processing, until ingredients come together to form a thin paste.

Kale Pesto

2-3 large kale leaves, stems removed
2-3 cups basil
1/2 tsp. salt
4-6 cloves garlic
1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup walnut oil
1/4 cup olive oil

Wash basil. Put first 5 ingredients in a food processor. Add walnut oil and olive oil while processing, until ingredients form a paste.

Pine Nut Pesto

3-4 cups basil
1/2 tsp. salt
4-6 garlic cloves
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/4-1/3 cup olive oil

Wash basil. Put first 4 ingredients in a food processor. Add olive oil while processing, until ingredients form a thin paste.

4 comments:

Barefoot Books said...

I really should make my own pesto. Although I can't imagine how good mine would be without pine nuts.

Erin said...

Very nice! I love pesto in any form, and I think it's a fantastic idea to add purslane.

veganf said...

Barefoot ;-) - I just made a decent nut-free pesto as an experiment. Pretty tangy (I used purslane which can be bitter, plus some lemon juice) but I just couldn't stop dipping with it! I'll probably post another 3 pestos in a week or so...I'd like to come up with 3 decent nut-free recipes for some variety.

Caz said...

Oh I think I am in heaven.. that kale pesto sounds divine! I have *no* idea what purslane is though, or even if we have it in Aussieland! Definitely going to have a go at the kale one though, s soon as my garden starts cranking out mature plants.