Tuesday, September 1, 2009

ready...set....

School starts tomorrow for my two oldest. I went shopping last night and this morning, and picked up our produce share at the farm this afternoon. I hope I'm prepared!

So before I return to devoting most of my posts to school bentos, here are a last few family picnic-style meals of the summer, and a recipe...

Muffin tin meals are a novelty that don't always accomodate the food being served, so sometimes I'll choose to use a platter or deeper party or dip plate instead.

Another benefit to picnics and shared meals...less to clean!

The purslane at the farm is
everywhere, growing huge
as if it were intentionally
planted. While it doesn't last
more than a few days after
being harvested, it doesn't
matter as there is always
more, and more, and more
to be weeded...I mean, picked!

String Beans & Sprouts with Purslane

2-3 T. peanut oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4-1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
1-2 quarts string beans, I chose to pick young yellow wax beans for contrast
2 T. soy sauce (or tamari or shoyu)
3 cups mung bean sprouts
1 big bunch purslane
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. mirin or sugar

Wash & trim beans, then snap in half.
Rinse purslane and roughly chop it.
Heat peanut oil in a large pot (at least 3 qt. capacity) or wok over medium-high heat. Add garlic & hot sauce.
As soon garlic begins to
sizzle, and beans and 1 T.
of the soy sauce. Stir fry
briefly, then cover, reduce
heat to medium, and cook
for 3 minutes.
Remove cover, add bean
sprouts and remaining soy
sauce, and stir fry for 1 minute.
Add purslane, salt, and mirin. Stir fry until purslane barely begins to wilt. Remove from heat.

This is delicious served over
brown rice. I also made some
spicy baked tofu with added
mushrooms and onions to
accompany it. Very satisfying!




Just because summer vacation
is coming to an end, doesn't
mean no more lemonade stands!
Ryan has a new business plan
though...




He is fortunate to live
almost next door to his
school, so he walks home
and is one of the first
kids able to leave the
school. Also, kids who are picked up by car usually greet their parents who line up all along the curb RIGHT IN FRONT OF OUR HOUSE. Since AJ is only going to half-day kindergarten, he will help me set up the stand. As soon as Ryan runs down the sidewalk, their plan is to sell snacks to all the kids leaving school. We'll see what the parents think of my son's entrepreneurial scheme!
Last weekend the boys did quite well selling banana muffins, chips & homemade chive hummus, and mango lemonade. But I think cupcakes are in order for the first after school stand!

3 comments:

Tyler said...

Just wanted to say hi. I've been hiding, but planning my comeback. Hope you are well.

veganf said...

Oh good! I've wondered....

lindserina said...

those picnic platters look so great! :)