Friday, September 18, 2009

Sunny Mighty Jungle Day

Ryan wanted a sandwich on this fluffy loaf of bread. With lots of empty space, I pitted a tiny damson plum to hold the sandwich in place. Then I added a side bento with the rest of his food.
We got our first fruit share of the season this week from local Autumn Hills Orchard, with lots of apples and plums.
Ryan's lunch: Tofurky, lettuce & soy cheese sandwich; damson plum; sesame snap peas; roasted red potatoes "fries" with a side of ketchup; a baby carrot; 4 bean salad.

Nate's lunch for grandma's house: Tofurky rolls; baby carrots; green & purple grapes; 3 mini muffins.
His lunch needed to be firmly packed and stable enough to be tossed around in a wild 3 year old's backpack. It was a beautiful sunny day, and Nate was excited to drive through "the Sunny Mighty Jungle" (the Garden In The Woods) to preschool as usual. At school he wouldn't let me even get him a piece of paper, he insisted on having his new teacher do it instead. I was outta there quickly! His first week of preschool has been great.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I am sooo jealous of the orchard CSA you get to belong to! How lucky you are!!

veganf said...

It's not strictly organic, but it's as close as it comes in New England. IPM (integrated pest management), only spraying if absolutely necessary to not lose a crop.

Anonymous said...

For me, local has become more important than anything. Organic is nice and I do buy that whenever I can, but if it comes down to buying produce that is organic and has been shipped from California or produce that is non-organic but grown down the road from me (most of my produce has been coming from within my own state, mainly from the county in which I live), I much prefer to buy the local goods.

veganf said...

I totally agree. I try to get local or New England grown produce whenever possible. Then Canadian greenhouse grown or as far out as Michigan or Florida. Ultimately I'll choose California if it's some must-have for the rest of the family. But the really hard thing for me is bananas. The kids just about live on them at times, and they just don't grow in the continental US. :-( I've finally just started refusing to buy my husband imported oranges, and he's learning to cope, LOL.

Valerie said...

Just curious to know if your kids eat ALL of their lunches and snacks. If they don't, what and how much usually comes back?

Valerie said...

Just curious to know if your kids eat ALL of their lunches and snacks. If they don't, what and how much usually comes back?

veganf said...

They almost everything all of the time.
Occasionally something comes back unfinished, for example, when I stuffed the long thin green peppers with hummus, Ryan didn't care for the taste of that variety of pepper and left one.
But 99% of the time the lunchbox comes home empty.