Tuesday, September 8, 2009

other things

So I lied. I didn't blog once over the three day weekend! But it's so rare to have my husband home BOTH days AND have the weather be PERFECT. I took advantage of the time to get some cleaning done and just hang out with my family.

I didn't have time to put too much thought into Ryan's lunch as I was busy with other things...
Ryan's lunch: white bean & purslane hummus; a pickle; carrot sticks; poppyseed thyme crackers; chocolate chip cookie; smoked Tofurky sandwich on a crescent roll.

He had music today
for the first time in
1st grade, so I stuck
in a music notes pick
and a frozen cookie
and called it good! His
drink bottle was filled
with rice & almond milk.
I seemed to guess right
on the amount of hummus
as it came back empty.

What WAS I doing with myself on Labor Day the evening before school?? Preparing for the
preschool opening night event...
I had never attempted fruit carving before, but I'd always wanted to try it. A word of advice...get yourself the right tools first. Trying to carve all this with a dull paring knife was a heck of a lot harder than I'd anticipated! I'd love to take a class about this sort of thing, but I may have to settle with a how-to book and a good set of proper knives for xmas.

I used
the
melon
salad
with
mint
that
I made
last
weekend
to fill
the
melon.
And I
picked
fresh
mint
edible
flowers
this
after-
noon
for
garnish. Here it is on display ready to feed the masses.
There were a few other melon plates, one just watermelon, another that included pineapple and honeydew. Nice that they were all different.

It was
quite
the
spread
this
evening,
an im-
pressive
selection
of app-
etizers.
Lots of
veggies
and
hummus
to munch!

But
then
there
was
also
the
dessert table...









...which even had a small
vegan chocolate cake! I
made sure to have some
cake first, just in case the building was destroyed by a rogue asteroid.

This morning Nate got together with his class for a playdate at the preschool playground...





















Maia came along of
course. Hard to believe
we'll be putting down
a deposit for her for
the 2010/2011 toddler
class in a few weeks!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ooo I have always wanted to try fruit carving! I love looking at the fancy ones :D I think I would end up maiming myself instead of the fruit. You did a great job!!