Sunday, October 4, 2009

Ryan's 7th Birthday

Here's
Ryan
arriving
home
from
school
on
friday.
I made
his
cake on
saturday,
frosted
it before
bed, and
chilled
it over-
night.
Sponge-
Bob, of
course,
LOL.

Like his father, Ryan prefers
vanilla cake with a layer of
vanilla frosting with sliced
strawberries inside. I am
usually a chocolate fan, but I
must admit this combo is
pretty darned good!





For breakfast Ryan requested
pancakes. One of the topping
choices was apple syrup that
I'd made the day before...

Apple Syrup

1 cup water
1 cup sugar
3-4 red apples' worth of
apple peel!

Don't throw away all those
apple peels or toss them
in the compost! Bring all 3
ingredients to a boil, stir to
dissolve the sugar, then
reduce heat to medium for 10 minutes, or until apples lose their bright colour. Remove apple peels with a slotted spoon, and continue simmering until liquid has reduced about half. Remove from heat and store refrigerated until ready to use.

The kids are really eating
a lot these days. Either I
need to stop eating, or I
need to increase how much
pancake batter I make by
50%! I'll need to get out
my biggest mixing bowl by
the time they're in their teens.

3 comments:

River said...

What a beautiful cake! I'm a chocolate cake person too, but I can't resist a vanilla-strawberry combo!

I've been thinking about making an apple pie, so I'll be sure to save the apple peels to make apple syrup! What a great idea!

veganf said...

I really miss you blogging River! How about just 1 post for Mofo!??

Amy Rainey said...

Hi, just stumbled onto your blog while looking for a great use for apple peels. I wanted to thank you for the apple syrup recipe...it was just what I was looking for! It is simmering on the stove right now, and smells yummy!