Monday, January 25, 2010

"D" Day

Here we go with a D-licious, D-lectable, D-lightful "D" bento...
Ryan's "D" lunch: Tofurky deli slices w/dill dip (and a duck pick); dried dates; seitan drumstick; vegetable dumpling; dirty rice.

Actually I had trouble
coming up with D foods
that weren't either fake
meats or D-esserts (figures).
I couldn't find any vegan
donuts anymore, and I
guess I could have made
oatmeal date cookies or
date bread. But here's what
I did make...

I had some fresh dill,
so I made a dip and
spread it on the Tofurky
deli slices with lettuce
and rolled them up. (And
then I ate the rest with
some baby carrots.)

This was a good amount for 1-2 people for a snack, or as a spread for a couple of sandwiches. You can easily triple the recipe for a picnic or party though!

Dill Dip

1/3 cup sour creme (I use Tofutti non-hydrogenated)
1/3 cup mayo (I use Veganaise High Omega-3)
1/2 tsp. minced dried onion
1/8 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp olive oil
1 heaping T. chopped fresh dill

Mix everything together, allow to sit for a few minutes so flavours meld. Yum.

Ryan has been to New
Orleans twice, and eaten
at the Old Dog New Trick
cafe which unfortunately
closed after hurricane
Katrina. So I thought some
dirty rice was in order...


Dirty Rice

1 medium onion (or 2 small onions, I used 1 purple and 1 white)
1 clove garlic
1 stalk celery
1/2 cup bell pepper
2 T. olive oil
1 T. margarine
1 Tofurky sausage
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. soy sauce
1 cup rice
1 3/4 cups water or vegetable broth

Chop up the onion, garlic,
celery & bell pepper. Heat
olive oil and margarine in a
medium pot over medium
heat. Slice the sausage
lengthwise, then into slices.
Add sausage to vegetables.
Stir. Sprinkle on chili
powder, paprika & soy
sauce. When vegetables begin to get tender, and the rice. Stir.
Heat the water or broth (I nuked the water & 1/2 a bouillon cube for 1 minute). Add to pot, stir. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir, cover, and reduce heat to low. Leave for 20-25 minutes. Turn off heat and serve, or for a bento, remove a serving to a plate and place in the freezer for 5 minutes to bring down to room temperature quickly.

1 comment:

Happy Little Bento said...

Nice one! You did well. I would have been stuck at "duck"...