Sunday, September 27, 2009

product review: Daiya

Daiya is one of the newest cheese alternatives on the market. I ordered mine online (you must order it with a cold pack for shipping) in small shredded portions of "Italian Blend" and "Cheddar Style".

While Daiya has won awards and rave reviews, I still found the taste rather plastic-like and the smell bizarre. But it did indeed melt. And it melted quickly and easily, unlike most non-dairy cheeses on the market. The kids loved it, and once I got used to the taste I was happy to have more...it's just not something I'd sit down and eat plain.

What is most amazing about Daiya is its ingredients...no soy, among other things. Here's an excerpt from their website:

"Daiya is made with nutritious planted-based ingredients and is:
  • 33% less fat than dairy-based cheese with equivelant attributes
  • Cholesterol free
  • Trans Fat free
  • Dairy free
  • Free of all animal products (Vegan and Parve)
  • Free of common allergens including:
    • Soy, Casein, Lactose, Gluten, Egg, Wheat, Barley, Corn, Whey, Rice, and Nuts
  • Free of Artificial Ingredients
  • Free of Preservatives
  • Free of Hormones & Antibiotics
  • An excellent source of a naturally occurring vegan vitamin B-12 as well as an excellent source of B vitamins in general"
Seriously, if you are dairy and soy allergic, you should probably give Daiya a try. I'm hopeful with such a great base, that they will be able to improve the flavours over time.

Here are a few examples of how we used our sampling of Daiya:

pizza







quesadillas








cheezy kale








mac & cheez








bagel pizzas

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The smell is bizarre? What sort of smell does it have? I've been toying with the idea of actually ordering some (I hate the idea of having to mail order food), but if it's that odd, maybe I don't want to.

veganf said...

Eh, kind of like nutritional yeast smells weird, not durian bizarre! LOL
It's great WITH other flavours, but IMO don't rely on the Daiya itself to impart all the taste you want.
I want to get more to try in lasagna and on top of enchiladas.

Alisa said...

I don't miss cheese these days, but it sounds like a good alternative to recommend! Thanks for the review!

ElectricSunflower said...

I personally find Daiya to have amazing taste! And it has a really fragrant smell that drives me crazy evey time I open the bag, I can't keep my fingers out from sampling it before I use it. It melts like a dream and the conventional-eater friends I once fooled by having Daiya pizza side by side with "real" pizza actually preferred the Daiya pizza - you should have seen their eyes bug out when I dropped the bomb! Each to his own, I guess...

veganf said...

Electric - Could it be possible that I have simply forgotten what "real" cheese tastes like in my 17 years without it? Maybe I have just lost my liking for that rotten moldy smell that IS cheese, LOL.
I was definitely impressed by Daiya, and would purchase it again, but I can't imagine a typical American omnivore would be duped, but I guess you never know!