Sunday, November 7, 2010

green tomatoes

There were a lot of nice looking green tomatoes left over at the farm, and most likely many of them wouldn't ripen before they rotted. So I brought home a flat of them and now I have to use them.

Tonight I made my rice cooker rice & beans, picked up a couple of bags of chips, and made salsa.

Green Tomato Salsa

6 small-medium green tomatoes, chopped (about 2-3 cups)
1/4 cup diced red onion
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 small hot pepper, seeded and minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. lemon or lime juice
2 T. fresh cilantro, chopped

Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl. Let sit for 20 minutes before serving.

This
salsa
was so
good
I am
tempt-
ed to
make
and
eat
nothing
else
but
this
for a
week...
well,
along
with
a marg
arita!
But I
supp-
ose that's too many chips, so I'd better come up with some other ideas too. But this is one of my favourite salsas ever. I love chunky crunchy salsa that isn't a bowl of homogeneous mush. Even the older boys loved it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sooo jealous! I have not been able to find any green tomatoes and have been craving fried green tomatoes. Your salsa looks great. :)

BunzOfCinnamon said...

I pretty much want to say the exact same thing that Connie did.