Wednesday, November 4, 2009

not pink!

Anyone who knows me usually teases me about my dislike of all things pink. While I will make an exception for Hello Kitty, I still prefer the classic red and white. But beets turn everything they touch pink!
Ryan's lunch: Sweet & Sara toasted coconut marshmallow; piece of vanilla raspberry cake from Hippie Chick Bakery; blanched spinach w/toasted sesame seeds; mixed salt nuts; mini cucumber slices; beet stems fried rice.

Beet Stem Fried Rice

1 T. canola or peanut oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup thinly chopped
carrot
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup chopped beet
stems
1 T. finely chopped scallion
1 tsp. soy sauce

Heat oil over med-high heat in non-stick skillet or wok. Add onion & carrot. Cook for not more than 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add remaining ingredients. Cook another 2-3 minutes, stirring regularly.

So now you have another use for beet stems besides soups! I like to blanch the greens mixed with spinach. And I either roast or steam the beet root itself. But when I steam it, there's a cup or so of intense deep pink liquid leftover. It seems a shame to waste it...put it in a soup? But it's so good for dying! Don't feel like tie-dying your underwear or your favourite dishtowel today? I don't blame you.
If you have kids, or want to make a cool handmade gift for one, try using the leftover steaming water for playdough! Here's my recipe:

Magenta Playdough

1 cup flour
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 1/2 T. cream of tartar
1/2 cup salt
1 T. canola oil
1 cup water from
steaming beets

Combine all ingredients in
a pot. Stir constantly over
medium-high heat. When
it forms a ball, cook for
about 1 more minute until
dough begins to firm.

Allow to cool, kneading
every so often as it cools.
Store in an airtight con-
tainer.

Here is AJ making a playdough maze. Nate requested white playdough for his birthday in the beginning of August, and the playdough is still nice and soft.

11 comments:

Abby said...

I'm a long-time lurker, but I wanted to say how excited I am that you have a recipe for beet stems! I love beet greens (they are my favorite greens) and one of the farmers at my local farmer's market will save them for me. Very often other people will ask her to just cut them off. They don't know what they're missing!

River - The Crafty Kook said...

Mwahaha! You might not love my new pinkish blog template then! (whenever I start the new blog) :-D

Anonymous said...

I heart pink.

Caz said...

I join you in your loathing of all things pink! I happen to have 5 sons, which is a good thing since pink makes me slightly queasy LOL. Loving your blog, getting great ideas for it!

Your recipes are delish looking... except one I can't get to come up! I'm DYING for your baked cheezy chard recipe and it is the only one that won't link to itself lol help???

veganf said...

Abby - Glad to hear from one of my lurkers!
It's hard sometimes not to waste perfectly edible parts of a plant...though I try my best, occasionally some extras do end up in the compost. But it's handy to have a few recipe options. I even put chopped beet stems in muffins once!

veganf said...

River - When will your new blog be up? Even if it's not vegan recipe brilliance, you always have the most interesting stuff to share!

veganf said...

Melissa - Now I know where to send my pink stuff.

veganf said...

Stuff - I will look into it asap! And if you're not vegan, that recipe can be done using a standard white sauce and regular cheese...don't be afraid to change it to suit your tastes.
And 5 boys! My SIL has 6 boys. After 3 boys, we have the first girl on my husband's side of the family in...well, let's just say that great-grandma had to be impressed. I'm the youngest of 5 girls though!

Caz said...

TY for fixing up the link to that recipe! OMG does that sound really nice :D I happened to pick up a huge bunch of chard today at the veggie market so guess what we're having for dinner tomorrow! lol

and no, we're not vegan, but we aim to eat about 3-4 vegetarian meals per week :) This will definitely be a hit with the hubby.

Caz said...

lol and yes, 5 boys is slightly insane (although two of them are pretty much adult now :) I was lied to by 'the man' (ya know, the medical establishment and their ultrasounds lol) twice & told I was having girls. sucked in! Good thing my boys are so adorable I guess ;)

veganf said...

Oh dear, so glad I never had an ultrasound! I can't imagine being twice told the wrong gender!!
My midwife goofed when I asked how the baby was (I couldn't open my eyes after she was born I was so tired and dripping with sweat)...and she said "SHE'S fine"...totally honest mistake as she knows I always like to check myself, but I felt a little cheated not getting to see first for myself...then I asked the boys to check and they said "It's a boy!" and I said "check again, are you sure?" LOL
Boys are really awesome though.