Wednesday, September 8, 2010

dark & rainy

It was a morning of downpours & thunder, dark enough to see lightning, despite it being breakfast time. By the time I needed to pack up lunches it had let up to a light rain, but still dark, and nothing I wanted to go out in to take pictures. So it was time for the "balance the bento on the edge of the porch" trick, getting as much natural light as possible without soaking the food in the process. Oh what I would give for a big well-lit kitchen and a lightbox!

Ryan
and
AJ's
lunches:
soba
noodles;
eda-
mame;
gherkin
pickles;
mini
zucc-
hini
muffin;
rasp-
berries.

AJ
asked
for
exactly
six
berries,
he's very particular, LOL.

Here is my rainy day
balancing act. Fun.
Time to pack up the
lunchboxes and send
the boys out into the
rain!

And here is my one-bowl
mini zucchini muffin recipe...
Zucchini Maple Muffins

1 medium zucchini (or 2
small)
3 tsp. egg replacer + 3 T.
warm water
2 T. olive or canola oil (optional)
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
spray olive oil for pan

In a medium mixing bowl,
grate 1 1/2 cups zucchini.
Add next 3 ingredients.
Stir. Add remaining 3 dry
ingredients. Stir.
Spray a non-stick mini muffin(s) tin with oil (I use a 24 count mini muffin pan).
Fill and bake at 375F for ~25 minutes.

I used to use this recipe when I taught preschool. It was simple for the kids to follow, though the preschool provided eggs to use, so I this is one of the few times I used egg-replacer powder. Just mix the egg-replacer powder well 'til frothy with a fork or whisk. You can experiment with other egg-replacers of your preference of course.
Also, I have used combos of agave nectar and brown rice syrup, but I really like the results of the maple syrup best, and the kids prefer the taste. I know not everyone lives where maple syrup is readily available and affordable though! So any sweet syrup con be substituted, but it's consistency may affect cooking time and moistness.

No comments: