Monday, April 13, 2009

sunny outside, cloudy inside

Just AJ's snack today...Ryan is home sick: blue rice w/soy cheese clouds; green beans; sesame tofu.
Our house is well over
100 years old; the basement
is not exactly impenetrable.
Check out this lilly that has
moved in at the window! I
wonder if it will bloom??



Cool tricks!
AJ can balance a spoon
on his nose. It frustrates
Ryan enormously that
he can't do it.

I made spinach pancakes
on Easter morning yesterday.
The boys all loved them and
were stealing them before
they hit their plates.

Spinach Pancakes

1/2 cup blanched baby spinach, about 6-8oz. fresh
(press out excess water)
1 1/2 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 3/4 cups soy/almond milk (I use a mix of both)
1 tsp. olive oil

Cook spinach in boiling water
until just limp, about 1-2
minutes. Rinse under cool
water, drain & squeeze in a
collander.
Puree 3/4 cup of the soymilk
with the spinach (I use a Magic
Bullet).

Preheat large non-stick pan or griddle over med/high heat.

In a large bowl, mix next 3 dry ingredients. Then add all of the soymilk/spinach & olive oil. Mix well with electric hand mixer.

When cooking surface is hot, spray lightly with olive oil to prevent sticking. Ladle on pancake batter. Flip when bubbles form and pop leaving holes.

3 comments:

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Aww, poor Ryan. I hope he feels better soon!

AJ is very impressive with his spoon balancing trick! Love the pancakes!

Oh, and the lilly is so cool! I hope it blooms!

Anonymous said...

Interesting spinach pancakes. I make mine with potatoes (no flour) and spinach.
My son loves sweet potato and applesauce pancakes, though.

veganf said...

Thanks River. He's got chicken pox so I won't be posting many bentos this week!

Liz - Tell me about your sweet potato & applesauce pancake recipe!