Friday, July 17, 2009

Harry Potter bento

To
celebrate
the new
Harry
Potter
film, and
create a
worthy
sub-
mission
for the
500K
Bento
Contest
,
I spent
friday
morning
on my
first
Hogwarts bento. I should have done a bit more on the Gryffindor and Ravenclaw house crests, but all in all I'm pleased with how it turned out.

The Gryffindor corner in the upper left begins with an apple slice meant to resemble Godric Gryffindor's sword. A mini pumpkin muffin sits below that, alongside some fresh gold raspberries. The rice square is topped with rice cheese decorated with red nasturtium petals and edible red ink.

Clockwise in the Ravenclaw corner, a blue cornflower blossom sits atop a vegetable gyoza. Some local blueberries add more color. And the rice square is topped again with a rice cheese crest with a kalamata olive raven perched on a branch of purslane. The house name was written with blue edible food marker.

Down below is the Hufflepuff corner, with yellow takuan slices, and a couple of meatless meatballs. The rice square and rice cheese crest are brightened by yellow nasturtium petals. A little food marker was used again, and finely grated chocolate gave the Hufflepuff "beaver" it's brown tinge.

Finally, Slytherin. Blanched spinach, bean salad, & tiny pickles rounded out the meal. My favourite part of the bento is the Slytherin snake, made from a lovely sage leaf that gave the snake a scaly silver-green appearance. Green edible food marker were of course used for the fine print Slytherin title.

In the center of the bento was one more rice ball, with a nori HP. Around the edges of the bento I used green leaf lettuce and purple kale. Steamed asparagus helped define the edges of the house sections.
Most of the greens, berries, herbs & flowers were picked by me locally.

Here is another image:I left the bento to be devoured by the kids (along with some english muffin soy cheese pizzas) while I went to see Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. Thumbs up!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

AAAAA! THAT IS AMAZING!!!! I want someone to make me a Harry Potter bento :P I'm too lazy to make one for myself in the summer lol

Barefoot Books said...

I hope you win that contest because that HP bento is fantabulous!

APLACEFORUS said...

very impressive! I am getting ready to flex my bento muscles.. Susan goes to school 3 days a week and home schools the rest of the time... I *think* I send her to school with a lunch!!
always glad to see you busy and so creative!

Shelly said...

That is so cool!

Erin said...

This is so great! Love your use of color.

Unknown said...

OUTSTANDING! Now, how can this be brought to JK Rowling's attention & enjoyment???

veganf said...

Katherine - That's a good question! Kind of like Pikko at AiBentomaking got a few of her Lost bento pics signed by the Lost cast.
Hmmm.....